2015 was awesome. No, really, it was. I got married, I started to teach group fitness….it really was a banner year.
When I look back as to why it was such a great year, I know for certain that it’s because of just a few things. I hope you use these things and make 2016 your best year yet, too.
- I refused to settle for less than my best. One of my new pet peeves is settling: settling for mediocrity, settling for sub-par goals, settling with setbacks and never getting back up to try again. I keep pushing past who I used to be so I can grow into a better person: a better wife, a better leader, a stronger woman. I won’t settle for the negativity I used to feel in my life.
- I made my health a priority. I cannot stress this enough. Once you make the mindset shift away from “diet” and towards “simpler eating and regular exercise”, your body WILL change. Schedule your workouts like they are meetings with your boss. Don’t cancel on yourself.
- I took leadership courses. Online, in person, in the form of books & worksheets….I work to conquer the things that used to hold me back. I realized that I don’t know everything (not even close!) and removed my ego from my growth. Now I study each morning with the greats: John C. Maxwell, Darren Hardy, Jen Sincero…..the list goes on.
- I expressed love & gratitude to the Universe, the Higher Powers, God, whatever you believe in. This one was BIG for me. Last January I was financially tight, as the husband and I were saving for our wedding. Instead of cowering with fear, I practiced gratitude and abundance. Now, I know this may sound crazy, but I woke up each morning and thanked God (or whatever you want to thank that’s in charge of this whole party) for the abundance He was currently bringing into my life, even though I didn’t see it yet. I did this for WEEKS without seeing any results. A month later, I got a call for an extra job that gave me the money I needed to stay afloat. Thanks, Higher Power. 😉
On top of that, anytime I feel miserable and negative, I express gratitude for the things around me. I listened to the book “The Power” by Rhonda Byrne and began to love more than I ever did before. I tried to be kinder, I tried to be more compassionate, I said “thank you” in my car as I saw a sunset. It may seem silly, but it was MIND-BLOWINGLY effective.
- I gave as much as I could. From my time to my finances, publicly and in secret, I gave more than ever. People don’t want fancy toys. They want your presence. (I’m still working on this one, too!)
- I dreamed big. Ah, yes. This correlates with #1. I continue to dream big for my husband and our future family. He and I sat down and planned our upcoming year, where we want to travel, what we want to save for, etc.
I dreamed for my team of coaches, where I want to help them grow, where we will all be in a year’s time, etc.
I know that “Dreaming Big” sounds like something on an elementary school teacher’s classroom poster. I used to feel the same way. But what I’ve found is that dreaming big is the current that continues to move our lives forward. If we don’t keep dreaming and pushing and growing and expanding, we lay stagnant. We get frustrated because our lives aren’t going anywhere because OUR LIVES AREN’T GOING ANYWHERE!!! We need to be bold and gutsy and make goals for ourselves that make our stomachs ache with nervousness. That is the type of growth that pushes our lives and gives us long-term satisfaction.
So where do you want to be in 2016? I am the architect of my year, and so are you. Go after what you want. Do something new. Just go after it. I’m here for you every step of the way.
In peace & health,