The phrase “cauliflower mash” sounds horrifyingly disgusting to me, which made me hesitate making some type of recipe where both of these words would be juxtaposed together. However, I decided to give it a go. What resulted was a delicious, healthy side option for any meal. Honestly, I like it more than mashed potatoes. (I’ve never been a mashed potatoes kinda gal.)
Recipe: Twice-Baked Cauliflower Mash (healthy edition)
- half of a head of cauliflower
- one individual cup of plain Greek yogurt (I use the 5 ounce Chobanis that are at the grocery store)
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Clean and cut pieces of cauliflower while a sauce pan with approx. 2 inches of water is brought to a boil. (Don’t stress too much about the cauliflower pieces being too big/too small; they will be blended anyway.)
- Place cauliflower in boiling water; cover and cook on medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes until cauliflower is “fork tender”.
- Drain cauliflower and put in food processor. Blend until smooth (30 seconds or so).
- Add Greek yogurt and coconut oil (or butter). Blend again for just a few seconds.
- Pour into medium bowl; mix in remaining ingredients (salt, pepper, garlic, cheese). If you want to make a brown cheesy crust on top, save some of the cheese to toss on at the end!
- Pour into small oven-safe dishes or a large casserole dish. (Toss on that cheese if you set it aside.)
- Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, turning the oven to broil for the last few minutes if you want to get the outside to brown a bit.
- Cool and enjoy! This is so good and so healthy for you!
What do you think? Would you give this a try? Let me know what you think!
In peace and health,
Amanda & the Fit Family