I recently came across a recipe for gluten-free pancakes that called for protein powder. While I drink Shakeology daily, I do not drink any other specific “protein powder”, and so I was unfamiliar with what I should consider trying. After some research, I decided to try what the author of the recipe herself bought, which was Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder.
Here we go!
Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
Ingredients- Pancakes: (yields 3- I recommend making AT LEAST a double batch)
1 scoop protein powder
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (I used vanilla)
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp butter extract (optional)
- 1-2 packets of Stevia (I used sugar)
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp fat free cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 packet Stevia (I used sugar)
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix well. If batter is a bit too thick, add a little more almond milk (1-2 tbsp if you think if it is needed).
- Heat skillet to medium heat.
- While pan is heating up, mix fat-free cream cheese, cinnamon, and sweetener together. Yes, the cream cheese will be thick, but it will melt onto your pancake deliciously.
- *VERY IMPORTANT: use cooking spray before beginning to cook pancake. I used spray coconut oil and it was not giving the pancake the oil it needs to not stick to the pan. I had no problems once I switched to canola oil. (I also sprayed the pan each time- these babies tend to stick!)
- Cook as many pancakes as the batter allows! I doubled the batter and I made about six respectably-sized pancakes.
- Pour cream cheese over hot pancake and enjoy.
I ate the second half of my pancakes the day after I made them and I was surprised at how full they continued to make me. I am very pleased with not only their protein powder, but also my lack of a “sugar crash” after eating them!
I will soon be experimenting with recipes for Sunwarrior protein, especially as I continue to do P90X and work on building my muscles! 🙂
A serious “thank you!” goes to a Spoonful of Fit for making these delicious treats.
Would you try these protein-packed pancakes?