One night this week I was remarkably lazy. I truthfully just wanted to order food and not make anything for dinner, but I decided to make something simple on the stove instead of eating unhealthy. It really was as easy as 1-2-3! 1 meal, 2 cans, 3 main ingredients.
Sauteed Chickpeas with diced tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- Olive oil
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 portabella mushroom
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Drain can of chickpeas and pat them to dry.
- Place chickpeas in heated pan, stirring frequently. Cook on medium heat uncovered for about 10 minutes (until chickpeas begin to brown). Add more olive oil if needed.
- Season as desired.
- Wash and slice one portabella mushroom (or a few smaller mushrooms if you wish). Add to chickpeas; sautée for a few minutes.
- Drain one can of diced tomatoes (I used Hunt’s diced tomatoes, seasoned with oregano and basil). Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of the can into the skillet with the chickpeas. Heat and stir to combine.
- That’s it!
I like adding the diced tomatoes because not only does it add texture, it also adds a level of acidity to the dish that I think works well with the chickpeas and mushrooms. I know I could have went out and purchased fresh tomatoes, but hey, this is lazy cooking. I simply found some items in the pantry and got creative. 🙂 The chickpeas always add a lot of protein to my dishes, and I found that this meal was filling, nutritious, and protein-packed enough to store a bit of leftovers for the next day too.
What do you think? Would you try something like this? What do you do to get creative and healthy with your meals?
Happy weekend, GFAs!