As we approach Christmas Eve, I must warn you, my GFA readers, that this may be my last blog post prior to Christmas….but I thought to myself, “what better way to send off my blog before Christmas than a delicious, Christmas-worthy recipe?”
I am proud to present this next recipe: It’s gluten free, it’s healthy, and wow, it’s delicious. This recipe was inspired from www.myrecipes.com, so thank you! (If you want to make the casserole sugar-free, eliminate the brown sugar and marshmallows; it is naturally sweet on its own.)
Sweet Potato Casserole
Total time needed: 1 hour 30 minutes (prep included)
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Place sweet potato pieces in a large pot filled with water. Let water and potatoes come to boil; let simmer on medium heat, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes (until sweet potatoes are tender).
- Drain potatoes; let cool for about ten minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place potatoes in large bowl in order to combine with other ingredients. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Mash potatoes with hand masher.
- Combine pecans and chia seeds into mixture. Spread sweet potatoes in an 11 x 17 inch pyrex glass bowl (greasing the bowl is optional).
- Cover casserole with as many marshmallows as you like!
- Cook at 375 degrees for 25 minutes until marshmallows are brown.