I had a brilliant thought: be the Next Iron Chef. No, not really. But I liked the idea of an item becoming the theme of my meal, and so I decided to make mushroom Parmesan risotto with mushroom steamed kale.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked risotto/aborro rice
- 1 quart mushroom broth
- 4 or 5 mushrooms
- 1- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked kale
- a sprig of rosemary (optional)
- heat olive oil in large sautéing pan. (You don’t want a growing risotto monster on your hands.)
- Add risotto and let brown on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add minced garlic, stir and immediately begin to gradually add mushroom broth.
- Here’s the pain of this dish. Risotto is such an attention hog. It demands your attention for 20-30 minutes….but keep in mind the delicious result!
- About 20 minutes into the risotto cooking, put risotto on medium-low to low. (It can deal for five minutes.) Add water to another pot- this will be for the kale/mushroom combo.
- Wash kale and mushrooms. Cut mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- Once water is boiling in second pot, add kale, mushrooms and rosemary. Cover, reduce to medium-low heat. This will cook next to the now attention starved risotto for ten minutes.
- Check on the steaming kale and mushrooms about five minutes in, just to make sure you don’t have it on too high of a heat setting.
- Once the risotto is at an al dente texture, you’re done! Drain kale and mushrooms. Serve together and add as much Parmesan cheese as you like. Enjoy the mushroomy goodness.