I made this for my boyfriend the other night- it was my first time making quinoa stir fry, and I think it was a valiant first effort!
Quinoa Stir Fry- the GFA version
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- olive oil
- garlic (optional)
- a handful of baby carrots
- 1 cup peas
- as many cooked shrimp as you like
- Teryaki Sauce (I used San-J Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce found on glutenfreely.com)
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa and let soak for about 15-20 minutes (this removes some of the fibers that may cause it to taste bitter).
- Drain quinoa; bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa; cover and let cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, de-frost cooked shrimp (if frozen). I run mine under a slow stream of cold water.
- Once the quinoa has cooked for 15 minutes, turn off heat, uncover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- At this point, heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Let cleaned, chopped baby carrots cook for about 5 minutes in skillet, stirring frequently. Add garlic at this point (optional).
- Add shrimp; let cook.
- Add peas; let cook for about 2 minutes. Add more olive oil if necessary.
- Gradually add quinoa and stir frequently. Immediately after adding quinoa, pour a generous amount of teriyaki seasoning onto the stir fry. Stir constantly on medium high heat.
- Once the teriyaki seasoning is blended, you’re done! Serve and enjoy immediately.
- *Tip: If you find that you made too much quinoa, pack it up for leftovers and either make more stir fry the next day or season it as you like!